Old Telegraph Station, also called Wathne´s House was built in 1894 as a private home for Norwegian entrépreneur Otto Wathne. In con- junction
with the laying of the first submarine telegraph cable between Iceland and the
continent in 1906 it became the first telgraph station in this country. The first
cross-country telephone line was carried by 14,000 telephone poles from Seydisfjordur
to the capitol, Reykjavík. The open- ing of the landline 29. september 1906
marks the birthdate of Icelandic telecom. In 1973 the Government donated the house
to the town of Seydisfjordur to shelter a museum.
Among the historical buildings
conserved and maintained by the museum is Johann Hansson´s mechanical workshop.
Founded in 1907, it is now the oldest of its kind in the country. It soon became
a thriving business and in 1918 the original building was enlarged and a metal-foundry
was added and used for producing fishing equipment and machine-parts. In 1967
the company went on to become one of Iceland´s leading shipbuilders and
produced steel ships until it was closed in 1993